Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS)
Assignment of a D-U-N-S® number is free for all entities required to register with the federal government by a regulatory agency. This includes federal contractors, prospective government vendors and applicants and recipients of federal grants. The D-U-N-S® number is a unique nine-digit identification code and is issued by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). It remains with the company location to which it has been assigned even if it closes or goes out of business. D&B can reached at 1-866-705-5711 for any questions or concerns.
Obtaining a D-U-N-S® Number can be done online or by calling (866) 794-1577.
Online, go to https://iupdate.dnb.com/iUpdate/companylookup.htm and start by making sure you do not already have a DUNS number, and then provide the requested information about your business or organization. Within 24-48 hours, you will receive your D-U-N-S® Number via email.
You will need to provide the following data elements to obtain a D-U-N-S® Number:
- Legal Name
- Doing Business As (DBA), or other name by which your organization is commonly
- Physical Address, City, State and Zip Code
- Mailing Address (if separate)
- Telephone Number
- Contact Name
- NAICS Code (Line of Business)
- Number of Employees at your location
- Headquarters name and address (if there is a reporting relationship to a parent
- Annual Revenue
- Number of Employees